If you are a sightseer, tourist, outdoor activist, or Marine then you must be aware of how important a backpack is. It is literally a home that travels with you where you can keep important things to survive. And the tactical backpack is the best kind of backpack you can rely on.
What are tactical backpacks?
Now, some of you might want to know more about what a tactical backpack is, then let us clarify for you. The tactical backpacks the type you would want for long-distance endeavors, hiking, military missions, or law enforcement. Some of them can offer you external ports of radio antenna, earphones, and nozzles. There also life-saving features like hydration bladder compatibility.
Why tactical backpacks are necessary?
A tactical bag is the perfect survival kit for you. Therefore, one tactical bag can carry lots of things you could carry in multiple bags, it provides comfort to the shoulder, easy to drag and hang, minimizes space, and everyday carry the go-to product.
If you are into climbing, fishing, hunting, trekking, or long-distance hiking, is the most first and most important thing you need. Because this is the thing all of your accessories and tactical gears will fit into.
The key differences between your regular backpacks and these versatile backpacks are substantial. These backpacks offer huge storage compartments, outer pockets, water bladders, and extra pouches. And these bags are made with high-quality material, so you can carry not heavy items.
Therefore, tactical backpacks are ideal for everybody- from soldiers to students.
Now, without further ado, let’s find some best tactical backpacks out there. In this article we have put a list and description of the top 21 tactical backpacks you could really find useful.
Give it a quick read!
- RUSHI12 Assault Daypack by 5.11
- RUSH24 Military Backpack by 5.11
- Direct action dust tactical backpack
- SOG Ninja Technical day backpack
- Maxpedition Tactical backpack
- Spec-Ops T.H.E. EDC Pack
- Direct Action Dragon Egg MKII
- Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack
- All Hazards Prime by 5.11
- Eberlestock F3M Halftrack
- Condor 3 Day Assault
- Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack
- NYK49 Bear Komplex BKX Military Backpack
- Camelbak HAWG Mil-Spec Antidote with Hydration
- Mystery Ranch Rip Ruck Urban Battlefield Edition
Top 15 Tactical Backpacks Reviewed
1. RUSHI12 Assault Daypack by 5.11
Introducing RUSHI12 Assault Daypack by 5.11 that offers you 16 different individual compartments. For example- one roomy main storage area, Hydration pocket (one), compression straps (two), and yoke shoulder strap. The materials are pretty reliable too as we have here durable Nylon 1050D, water-resistant backpack, and self-repairing YKK zippers.
Features at a stretch
- Dimension: 14x6x18-inches.
- Weight: 3 pounds.
- Manufacturer of the product: 5.11.
- It is compatible with web and molle pouches.
- Comes with lashing points and drain holes on the bottom.
- Features top zippered pockets.
- Has 5.11’s signature center design.
- Throughout YYK zipper outside.
- Offers 16 compartments.
- Comes with side compassion straps.
- A rush tier system compatibility backpack.
- User-friendly sternum adjustable strap.
- The front compartment comes with an internal admin panel to keep things.
- Offers options to grab handle and drag.
- Durable and long-lasting materials, such as 1050D Nylon construction and Molle attachment.
- The strong straps, adjustable yoke-style straps, and fleece-lined pockets make it quite user-friendly.
- Available in different color variations.
- The multi-slot internal compartment is spacious and holds lots of things at once.
- Water-resistant and weatherproof materials.
- Comes with self-repairing zippers.
- Comparing to other brands the shoulder straps that come with it are not that adjustable.
- There is no hip belt with the bag. You have to purchase it as an extra.
- No built-in bap for laptops.
Who should buy it?
RUSHI12 Assault Daypack by 5.11 is a pretty good one for people who likes backpacks that are highly adjustable and requires a spacious compartment. It goes without saying that RUSHI12 is suitable for heavy-duty projects. You can use it for hiking, camping, and many more outdoor endeavors.
2. RUSH24 Military Backpack by 5.11
Being compatible with the 5.11 Tier System, wrap-around MOLLE, great storage capability, adjustable shoulder, RUSH24 is the kind of bag you can take out anytime for hiking, camping, or any type of outdoor activities.
- Manufacturer of the product: 5.11.
- Dimension: 14x5x14-inches.
- Weight: 3 pounds.
- Zipper closure type.
- Water-resistant and water-repellent nylon materials.
- 29 compartments.
- Comes with the design of 5.11’S signature.
- Offers morale patches.
- Quite compatible with web pouches and molle.
- A customizable bag as it offers pouches and accessories.
- Has a variety of pockets.
- A bag pack with durable and water-resistant materials.
- Densely padded shoulder straps that pull the bag closer to your body.
- Robust straps to secure the position.
- Comes with drainage holes to dispose of water or dirt.
- Maybe the organizing system can be a little bit complicated for some.
- Everyone is not comfortable with the tactical aesthetic.
- The compression straps may turn to be bothersome in case of accessing compartments.
Who should buy it?
One can use RUSH24 for keeping different types of the item; starting from bulky to small. It is highly customizable; so people who are going out for a long tour taking lots of things at once can definitely see this one as a better option.
3. Direct action dust tactical backpack
Direct action dust tactical is the kind of backpack you can use to carry laptops and lots of EDC essentials. With 20 liters of storage, this backpack turns out to be quite reliable for any kind of outdoor activity.
- Manufacturer of the product: Direct Action.
- Dimension: 5.5×10.2×16.5inches.
- Weight: 4.01 pounds.
- Water resistant Cordura 500D fabric material.
- The main compartment comes with an internal pocket.
- Side pockets are plastic coated.
- Equipped with lightweight and low-profile materials.
- Water-resistant materials.
- Comes in different colors.
- The 5000 Cordura fabric pertains to extra durability.
- A glove-friendly and heavy-duty backpack.
- Quite lightweight for a rugged backpack.
- Offers detachable straps.
- The carrying strap can be too short for some people.
- The fully loaded bag can create a sort of awkward volume.
- It is often troubling to adjust the chest straps.
Who should buy it?
If you are especially looking for something that can carry a laptop, iPod, or hydration bladder, then Direct action dust tactical can be a very good option. Also, it carries lots of items at once, and at the same time, it maintains its lightweight appearance. Anyone who intends to look fashionable with something useful and spacious will find this model as the right backpack.
4. SOG Ninja Technical day backpack
Looking for a decent quality bag under $50? Then SOG Ninja is the one for you. Having comfy and useful materials like polyester, it turns out to be quite lightweight and water-resistant.
- Manufacturer of the product: The Outdoor Recreation Group.
- Dimension: 17.1×11.1×6.1-inches.
- Weight- 2.37 pounds.
- Comes with a large main compartment and many other pockets.
- Provides long-lasting comfort with adjustable straps and polyester material.
- Comes with extra molles, hydration hose port, Velcro patch holder, and accessory pocket(front)
- Functional and versatile bag pack for daytime or school outdoor activity.
- A backpack with versatile usable options provides flexibility.
- The yoke-style shoulder makes the straps adjustable.
- Easy to access pockets.
- Holds a number of pockets for essentials.
- A bag with easy organization.
- An affordable bag pack.
- The straps and zippers can appear a bit stiff at first.
- Not a bag pack for heavy-duty or biggest endeavors like hiking or long-distance outings.
Who should buy SOG Ninja Technical day backpack?
Those of you who are looking for a cheap and decent backpack can definitely look into SOG Ninja; however, it is not pretty suitable for war zone usage. Maybe it is not the toughest bag yet it is of decent material that can assure you a nice school activity day out.
5. Maxpedition Riftcore Backpack, Black
Maxpedition Tactical backpack is the kind of bag you would find with a wide array of features. The quick-release strap’s yoke-style makes it greatly ergonomic. The multiple internal and external pockets with one min compartment make the places for you to keep different types of gears.
- Manufacturer of the product: Maxpedition Hard-Use Gear
- Dimension: 12x8x18inches.
- Weight: 8 pounds.
- The zipper comes on closure type.
- Durable with the bar-tacked and double-stitched system.
- Offers sternum suspension belt to distribute the weight of the backpack.
- Polyurethane coating for water-resistant effect.
- Materials- Nylon fabric (1000 denier abrasion and water-resistant).
- A very lightweight backpack with nylon fabric.
- Water, abrasion, and grime-resistant bag pack.
- It comes with 11 different pockets with additional two mesh pockets.
- Provides comfort to shoulder and arms with foam padded straps.
- Sturdy nylon fabric.
- Comes with different Molle spots.
- Unable to carry a laptop with more than 14 inches.
- A bit expensive.
- Has no padding at the bottom.
Who should buy Maxpedition Tactical backpack?
This backpack is not the one you can take to police or military missions. For that, you will need one with an exterior that is more rugged. But Maxpedition Tactical is definitely one with great ergonomic and capacity. In outdoor picnics or middle to small endeavors, you can take this backpack out carrying lots of things at the same time.
6. Spec-Ops T.H.E. EDC Pack
Get a highly customizable bag by collecting Spec-ops T.H.E EDC pack. Not just customizable, this one is also suitable for heavy-duty usage. Besides, the 1000 denier water-resistant material makes it something you can take for a long journey.
- Manufacturer of the product: A.C. Kerman- LE.
- Weight: 3.1 pounds.
- Comes with a shoulder strap system and closure zip.
- Drag handle system targeting heavy-duty usage.
- Material- Cordura Nylon fabric.
- Versatile design with multiple pockets in different places.
- The design is highly organized; you can take different items in different sections.
- A lightweight yet durable backpack.
- You can even take a 17” laptop in it.
- Comes with a Molle system.
- Features self-repairing Ykk10 zippers.
- The waist belt is comparatively small.
- It would have been better if the shoulder straps were more padding.
Who should buy Spec-Ops T.H.E. EDC Pack?
Do not let the cons change your decision because Spec-Ops T.H.E. EDC Pack is worth buying even when the belts are smaller. It is spacious, robust yet lightweight which is a deadly combination. Anyone who is willing to take a backpack for a long outdoor journey and rely on it then this one is without any doubt stands as a good choice.
7. Direct Action Dragon Egg MKII
Even though Direct Action Dragon Egg MKII is a bit pricy, after reading through its features you will justify its price. Being highly versatile and at the same time of quality material, Direct action stands as the all-time preferable one. The laser-cut Molle system itself is an expensive item which you are getting at a good price.
- Manufacturer of the product: Direct Action.
- Material- 100% Cordura 500D, cotton lining.
- Comes with a zipper closure system.
- Preferable for high-end usage.
- Introduces new design having side pockets with elastic expansion.
- Features front pocket with internal multiple organizers.
- Has back compartment with padded sleeve.
- High-quality bag pack with top-notch material.
- Features panted combat ventilation system.
- Lots of adjustable side pockets.
- Materials from the USA.
- Solid durafelx zipper.
- Offers high-density padded hip support.
- Does not appear bulky with an egg-shaped and drooped design.
- An expensive bag pack.
- A bit small for 24 hours worth of kit.
Who should buy Direct Action Dragon Egg MKII?
Having molle webbing, adjustable straps, and water-resistant materials Direct Action Dragon Egg MKII is quite suitable for everyday usage as well as outdoor missions. Even for the warzone, this bag pack is highly suitable. So, those of you who are looking for something with lots of pockets, stylish and useful can take a look at this one.
8. Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack
Want an extra water-resistant backpack? Then look no further than Maxpedition Falcon-ll that comes with special 3 layers of polyurethane as well as a layer of DuPont Teflon Fabric Protector. Not just that, it is also spacious enough to keep enough EDC for hiking or camping.
- Manufacturer of the product: Maxpedition.
- Weight: 3 pounds.
- Dimension: 19x12x3.7—inches.
- A 1050-water resistant backpack.
- Material- Ballistic nylon fabric.
- Offers hydration compartment with loop field internal.
- Has more than one compartment with multiple pockets, organizers, CCW pocket to keep pistols, and other parts.
- The straps are of three levels of compression.
- Available in three colors.
- A rugged yet lightweight bag pack.
- High water resistance.
- Sturdy zippers and straps.
- Lengthy straps.
- Easy maintenance.
- An intelligently designed bag pack.
- There is no water bottle pouch with this bag.
- Often buyers complain of its loose stitch.
Who should buy Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack?
Maxpedition Falcon-II is the kind of Backpack you can drag along and take lots of kinds of stuff on a long tour. Having many EDC-keeping spaces and great ergonomic design it undoubtedly stands out as the best one for a heavy-duty bag. Therefore, you can take it to camping sites, hiking, sports, and adventures, and any other war zone activity.
9. 5.11 Tactical All Hazard’s Prime Backpack 29L
If you are seeking something lighter yet highly resistant than 5.11 Rush72 then All hazards Prime is the one for you. Coming with 1050D nylon this bag is more damage resistant and rugged. Yet it is light in weight because it is 29L.
- Manufacturer of the product: 5.11.
- Weight: 4.21 pounds.
- The main compartment is with 1,768 cubic inch capacity.
- Offers padded laptop sleeve (fits a laptop of 15 inches), web interior platform, and sided retention lanyards.
- Comes with special medical pouches, extended storage, and adjustable straps.
- Appears fashionable with front High-vis orange lining.
- Compact design.
- Enough storage.
- Strong security and stability.
- Rugged and damage resistant.
- Not a bag with great mobility.
- Customers often complain of the helmet partition that often falls.
Who should buy All Hazards Prime by 5.11?
All Hazard prime is well suited for military usage, hiking, travel bag, or day pack. For everyday carriage, it also offers enough storage and capability. What makes All Hazard prime different is its medical pouch. So, those of you who are looking for something that can assist medical usage should definitely have e look at it.
10. Eberlestock F3M Halftrack
Eberlerstock F3M Halftrack is the kind of carriage that brings about a balance between the tactical and long-distance journey. Having multiple adjustable options and boxes it is a go-to bag for ¾ days long journey or long take-outs.
- Manufacturer of the product: Eberlestock.
- Weight: 6.3 pounds.
- Closure system zipper.
- Well-made for military purposes.
- Can carry 3 liters water bottles.
- Free pockets for multiple gears.
- Features gossamer polycarbonate frame.
- Spacious compartment.
- Adjustable padded shelves.
- Versatile and comfortable.
- Can carry four different hydration kits.
- Makes a good choice for a long tour.
- Offers lifetime warranty.
- No straps at the bottom, as a result, you cannot attach many things with it.
- The compartment is too modified, maybe it is complex for some users to instantly find the things they need.
Who should buy Eberlestock F3M Halftrack?
Those of you who are looking for something that has enough storage, weather-resistant, and at the same time can carry multiple hydration items, will find it interesting. Be is for mountaineering, sightseeing, hiking, hunting, camping, or war zone missions, Eberlestock F3M Halftrack suits well in all these sectors.
11. Condor 3 Day Assault
Condor 3 day assault is one of the best heavy-duty bag pack you could ever think of. It promises useful features like huge storage capacity, drag handle, heavy-duty carry, removal, an adjustable waist strap, shoulder strap, an easy-access organization with 7 different pockets.
- Manufacture of the product: Condor.
- Dimension: 22x17x11 inches.
- Designed as a 72 hours adventure usage.
- Spacious compartment.
- Comes with a hydration bladder pocket.
- D-ring body contour shoulder straps.
- Offers individual rear foam padding.
- Comes in Molle webbing.
- A bag pack with a huge storage area.
- Compatible for heavy-duty bug out.
- Adjustable shoulder straps.
- Comes with an adjustable hip belt.
- Travel friendly.
- Multiple perfect size pockets.
- Apparently fussy zippers.
- Some customers complain about it not being lightweight.
- Pockets are rickety for some people.
Who should buy Condor 3 Day Assault?
People who are indulged in practical camping or emergency outing will find Condor 3 days assault as favorable. Having enough spaces and lots of pockets, it proves to best for the long journey. Also, people of good height can find this one comfy and adjustable. It even offers some quick-release properties which are quite helpful for war zone endeavors.
12. Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack
One thing about Oakley Kitchen Sink is certainly visible is its versatility. You can put just about anything and it will pack it nicely. Although it is not the best as combat bags, it offers durability and great storage capacity.
- Manufacturer of the product: Oakley.
- Dimension: 20Hx14Wx8D-inches.
- Closure system- zipper.
- Materials- Polyester and Nylon.
- Offer additional shoe compartment.
- Comes with adjustable back straps and molded back panel.
- You can take a laptop of 17″ within the padded side-access sleeve.
- Comes with the bottom of abrasion resistance.
- Features lots of exterior and interior pockets.
- A perfect balance of nylon and polyester (69% and 31%).
- Quite lightweight despite being sturdy.
- Might be a little bit complicated for people who are looking for a simple bag pack.
- Not a bag of quick reach.
- For some people, it can be weighty because of its metal accessories.
Who should buy Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack?
Some of you might value the durability and strength more than the simplicity of design and the Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack is the right one for you. Therefore, it is well-suited for rough usage in military purposes. Also. you can carry a laptop and tablet with ease, so it stands out pretty well for people who would carry lots of things at once.
13. Bear KompleX Military Grade Tactical Backpack
If you don’t want to burn a hole in your pocket then you might like NYK49 a good one under 100 bucks. But you must know first that NYK49 is by no means a well-suited bag for combat missions. However, in terms of versatility and a wide array of features, it excels as a good one for daily take outs.
- Manufacturer of the product: Bear Komplex.
- Dimension: 24.0 x15.12×4.65-inches.
- Weight: 3.89 pounds.
- Comes with adjustable straps, heavy-duty zippers, headphone cord port, Velcro straps, and a large webbing panel.
- Designed for athletic usage.
- Great packing and outside attachment.
- Comfy yoke-style shoulder straps.
- It has a wet clothe friendly compartment.
- Good material within low price.
- Available in five different range of colors.
- It offers no waist strap.
- Not a choice for combat.
Who should buy NYK49 Bear Komplex BKX?
NYK49 Bear Komplex BKX Military Backpack is an essentially spots friendly bag. So, it can be a go-to product for a sportsman. Also, you can take it on short hiking visits and other small endeavors. Definitely a good pick for people who wants to save some money and at the same time target quality material.
14. Camelbak H.A.W.G Mil Spec Antidote Hydration Backpack
It is one of the great EDC packs and equipped with an antidote hydration system; which is quite preferable for missions and combats. As it has multiple routing options, you can take it to be suitable for different outdoor endeavors as well.
- Manufacturer of the product: Great lakes MP.
- Dimension: 1x1x1- inches.
- Weight- 5 pounds.
- Material: 100% Nylon.
- Comes with 100 oz/3L hydration capacity.
- A bag with a total of 1400 cups/23L total capacity.
- Comes in a brilliant earth tone which is liked by many customers.
- A lightweight bag pack.
- Low profile design.
- A suitable one for a combat environment.
- Less customizable.
Who should buy Camelbak HAWG Mil-Spec Antidote?
The quick disconnect bladder hydration system, laser cut Molle, waist straps, etc make the bag pack suitable for hiking and camping overnight trips. Also, for combat projects, one can rely on its antidote with a hydration system. A highly recommendable bag for military usage!
15. Mystery Ranch Rip Ruck Urban Battlefield Edition
Looking for a sturdy friend for an everyday urban mission? Then look no further than Mystery ranch Rip Urban battlefield edition. Plus, the zip-rip design gives them quick access in times of need. The compartment is pretty amazing too as it has different accessory and exterior pockets.
- Manufacturer of the product: Mystery Ranch.
- Dimension: 19.5x14x12.5-inches.
- Weight: 2.51 pounds.
- Durable Mystery Ranch materials.
- Comes with a quick rip design.
- Mainly designed for missions and urban battlefield.
- Offers high-quality YKK zippers.
- A backpack with lots of necessary exterior pockets.
- A traditional manufacturer.
- Easy to carry.
- Some customers complain of it for not being very spacious.
Who should buy Mystery Ranch Rip Ruck?
If you want something that makes your day-to-day life easier then you can look into Mystery Ranch Rip Ruck Urban Battlefield Edition; because it is greatly user-friendly allowing one quick access. However, if you are a fan of Molle then maybe it won’t be a great option for you.
What to carry in a tactical backpack?
u003cstrongu003eThere are some basic items you can keep in a tactical backpack; for example- defense items, bedding, clothing, flashlights, shelter items, fire starting kits, medical items, communication types of equipment, tools, personal hygiene items, foods like energy-boosting items or high proteins. u003c/strongu003e
How to maintain and take care of a tactical bag pack?
u003cstrongu003eIt is best to clean a tactical bag once every couple of weeks. Obviously, read the instructions within the bag before washing; some elements are extremely sensitive to some. For example – water is more likely to ruin ballistic properties. You can use water spray on particular parts or diluted baking soda with warm water for washing. Also, a mixture of one tablespoon of any type of dish soap with a cup of water will do too. u003c/strongu003e
What makes a backpack tactical?
u003cstrongu003eA backpack with high-end fabrics; for example-Cordura or ballistic nylon increases its durability. A tactical backpack is therefore made with durable materials and claims to be having long-wear materials preferences.u003c/strongu003e
There are lots of tactical bags available and reviewing each would be nearly impossible. However, this article covers the types one would usually look for-the cheap one: NYK49 Bear Komplex BKX Military Backpacks, the versatile one: Direct action dust tactical backpack, the sturdy one: RUSHI12 Assault Daypack by 5.11, light weight and military purpose: Camelbak HAWG Mil-Spec Antidote with Hydration and more. So, pick up one that mostly meets your interest.
However, all the above mentions are reliable and worth buying; you just have to find which one is best for you. Also, remember the maintenance is the key to longevity. Washing it every couple of weeks would not become much troublesome as washing it is not a hard nut to crack.